Thursday, October 23, 2008

My not so smartest moment.

I was pumping gas today and I was reminded of a conversation I had a bit ago with my Pap.

He's a frugal kind of guy so when I drove out here, his first question was "Have you ever checked your gas mileage on this car? Is it pretty good?"

I looked at him and said

"I've been thinking I should check it, but i'm never quite sure when i'm going to be completely out of gas, and I didn't want to guess wrong and end up stranded, Is there a trick to it? "

He looked at me like I was an alien and then burst out laughing.

Not laughing WITH me, he was straight up laughing AT me.

It never occured to me that you could fill up, then record your miles, fill up again, record the gallons you put in and divide.

Oh no, I seriously contemplated it (more than once) and the only way I could possibly see getting an accurate reading would be to drive your car so the tank was absolutely dry, fill it with 9 gallons, or whatever capacity is and then divide.

I'm such a scholar

1 comment:

Toni Alexis said...

Steph....I am soooo happy that i am not alone!!! I had NO clue how to check gas milage until you just explained it to me!! LOL!!!

The bad part is, on more than one occasion, me dad and grampa have asked me about gas milage and I just nod my head and give vague answers like I know what they're talking about!! Ha Ha!!!

Thanks for the edumacation!