Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I'm going to be a welfare mom when I grow up...

Because then, apparently I wont have a problem renting a house in Ohio!

Three different times in the past week i've seen an ad in the paper for a reasonable rental.

Hello

*Hi, I am calling to get more information about the rental you advertised in the newspaper on xyz street.

Yes.

*It is a three bedroom correct? Can you tell me what school district it's in and how much you are asking for rent please?

Ok, it's three bedrooms on xyz street in the wrong school district and $700 a month.

*Excellent, can I go ahead and set up an appointment to look at the property?

Sure you can, are you already HUD approved?

*No ma'am, i'm not on HUD, I'll be paying the rent myself.

**click**



WTF?!? It is so completely and totally UNFAIR that these people are hanging up on me because i'm NOT on welfare and i'm actually *gasp* working full time, busting my hump to make sure I can look my boys in the eye and tell them that I took care of them, not someone else, not the system, ME!!! But oh heck no, we won't rent to her, she's not on rental assistance.

It's incredibly frustrating and sad to me that I would literally be better off as far as housing and finances if I quit my job, sat on my rear end and let your tax dollars raise my children. I could probably even qualify for financial aid and let you pay me to go to school and get my degree. Unreal.

If I didn't have this little thing called pride, and yanno, just a smidge of self respect i'd slide my fanny into a pair of dirty sweatpants with 'sexy' stamped across the cheeks, cash a welfare check, swipe some food stamps and be living the high life, in a fancy rental that I don't have to pay for.

Instead, because i'm a jackhole who wants to do things the 'right' way, i'll go to work everyday, be able to look my kids in the eye when they're grown and i'll continue to get yelled out for being a single mom and therefore unworthy of renting a house, i'll continue to get hung up on because i'm not a welfare mama and eventually, one day, i'll find someone who wants to rent to someone who's trying to not suck at this life thing.

I hope it happens soon because quite honestly, it's starting to piss me off.

I feel for the next person who hangs up on me. I'm so not in the mood!

No comments: